Learning objectives in terms of knowledge
This course gives the necessary knowledge for the decommissioning of old nuclear power stations and management of waste. It covers all measures needed to ensure the safety of people and the environment.
Learning objectives in terms of professional skills (the know and the know-how)
- Waste management
- Analysis and resolution of problems associated with the decommissioning of nuclear facilities
- Project management and planning
- Radioprotection associated with waste and decommissioning
- Economy of decommissioning
- Rules and regulations associated decommissioning and waste management
Students who have completed a first year of, notably, a masters of Physics, master1 “Nuclear Energy” or an equivalent master1 such as “Applied Physics and Mechanics” and students in third year at Engineering Schools of ParisTech, Centrale Paris and Supélec are eligible to apply. An effort is made to attract foreign students.
A panel will make the first round of selections from paper applications, then they will interview the eligible candidates to ascertain their scientific competence, their level of English and their motivation. From this they will make a definitive selection for M2.
Process engineering, materials, chemistry reaction media, nuclear physics.
Professional objectives and prospects
This major mainly leads to employment linked with radioactive waste treatment and management, as well as other professions linked with decommissioning of nuclear facilities of all natures.
The training from this major opens up to jobs such as:
- Consultant engineer, responsible for defining the nature and stages of decommissioning operations, or responsible for devising storage during the decommission.
- Implementation engineer, responsible for directing and overseeing on-site operations
- Operations engineer of waste storage facilities.
These jobs are at:
- Electronuclear power stations (EDF, GDF SUEZ,…) or other nuclear facilities (AREVA), both in France and abroad, which have been marked for decommissioning
- Organizations responsible for waste management and storage both in France and abroad (e.g. ANDRA in France)
- Industrial companies, large and small, who are involved in decommissioning or any work linked with storage.
This course also prepares students for a career in research and offers teaching for those going on to write a thesis.
Apply now !
Back to home page